A central sterile processing technician plays a vital role in maintaining the cleanliness, functionality, and inventory of health care instrumentation and equipment. Their work ensures that patients avoid infections and that doctors, nurses and allied health professionals are able to access the instrumentation and equipment they need immediately.
As a central sterile processing technician, you are responsible for sterilizing instrumentation and equipment through a series of critical steps. Technicians have a strong understanding of microbiology and infection control, the principles and practices of sterile processing and decontamination procedures.
You will take classes that prepare you to:
- Clean, disinfect and distribute sterilized instrumentation and equipment to an emergency department, intensive care unit, the labor and delivery unit, operating room and other areas of health care facilities.
- Work in a sterile processing department and central service department setting.
- Contribute to a team of central sterile processing technicians who are all working together to maintain sterilization and storage.
- Find employment in various settings, including hospitals, dental or eye care practices, plastic surgery offices, surgery centers, and laboratories.
- Take the central sterile processing exam offered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM). This program is based on the IAHCSMM certification, CRCST.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Central Sterile Technician
- Students are prepared to sit for the Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) Exam
- Healthcare Provider BLS and First Aid Certificate
Registration Eligibility: Adults can register any session. High school seniors are eligible to register for the Spring Session only.
Registration Availability: Registration for the summer 2020 session is open. Registration for the 2020-2021 school year opens June 24, 2020 at 8:00 am online on the MTECH Registration Portal and remains open until classes are full. It is recommended to create your MTECH Student Portal account in advance.
Program Length: 800 Hours or approximately 6.5 months.
Times: Evenings. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Main Campus Rm 226
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
Entrance Assessment: Students must take the MTECH Entrance Assessment. The Entrance Assessment is free and takes about an hour to complete. To learn more visit mtec.edu/testing.
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Summer 2020||Lehi||221||6/25/20||12/23/20||5:30 pm||9:30 pm||M-Th|
|Spring 2021||Lehi||221||1/19/21||TBD||11:30 am||2:30 pm||M-Th|
|Spring 2021||Lehi||221||1/19/21||7/27/21||5:30 am||9:30 pm||M-Th|
Tuition and Fees
|total:||$2,285.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Central Service Technician Manual & Workbook, 8th edition||$115.00||ISBN 978-1-4951-8905-0|
|Scrubs||$48.00||Available in MTECH Bookstore; cost is for two sets|
|CRCST Exam||$125.00||Optional, but highly recommended|
All materials and supplies are available at MTECH Bookstore unless noted.