The central sterile processing technician plays a vital role in maintaining the cleanliness, functionality and inventory of health care instrumentation and equipment. Their work ensures that patients avoid infections and that doctors, nurses and allied health professionals are able to access the instrumentation and equipment they need immediately.
As a central sterile processing technician, you are responsible for sterilizing instrumentation and equipment through a series of critical steps. You will have a strong understanding of microbiology and infection control, the principles and practices of sterile processing and decontamination procedures.
You will take classes that prepare you to:
• Clean, disinfect and distribute sterilized instrumentation and equipment to an emergency department, intensive care unit, the labor and delivery unit, operating room and other areas of health care facilities.
• Work in a sterile processing department and central service department setting.
• Contribute to a team of central sterile processing technicians who are all working together to maintain sterilization and storage.
• Find employment in various settings, including hospitals, dental or eye care practices, plastic surgery offices, surgery centers and laboratories.
• Take the central sterile processing exam offered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM). This program is based on the IAHCSMM certification, CRCST.
- MATC Central Service Technician Program Certificate
- Students are prepared to sit for the Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) Exam
- Healthcare Provider BLS and First Aid Certificate
- Gainful Employment Data
Simple and Easy Steps to Get You Started
Choose Your Program
This is where the text for your Feature List Item should go. It's best to keep it short and sweet.
+ Choose Your Program
Apply to MTECH
Applying is FREE and easy. It's all done online.
+ Apply Now
Take Entrance Assessment
All students must complete the entrance assessment. You can also meet with an Academic and Career Counselor at anytime.
+ Visit MTECH Testing Center
Meet with Academic and Career Counselor
Some programs require a visit with one of our Academic and Career Counselors. Check your program for prerequisite details.
+ Meet with a Counselor
Check for Financial Aid
Look for additional funding sources - Some programs qualify for financial aid. Others may have scholarships available.
+ Visit Office of Financial Aid.
Register, Pay Fees and Tuition
All tuition and fees are due when you register. Registration is available online or at Student Services locations in Lehi, Orem and Spanish Fork.
+ Register and Pay
Visit the MTECH Bookstore
Check your program homepage for supplies needed. Don't forget to grab your parking pass while at the bookstore. You already paid for it when you paid your program fees!
+ Visit a MTECH Bookstore