The central sterile processing technician plays a vital role in maintaining the cleanliness, functionality, and inventory of health care instrumentation and equipment. Their work ensures that patients avoid infections and that doctors, nurses and allied health professionals are able to access the instrumentation and equipment they need immediately.
As a central sterile processing technician, you are responsible for sterilizing instrumentation and equipment through a series of critical steps. You will have a strong understanding of microbiology and infection control, the principles and practices of sterile processing and decontamination procedures.
You will take classes that prepare you to:
- Clean, disinfect and distribute sterilized instrumentation and equipment to an emergency department, intensive care unit, the labor and delivery unit, operating room and other areas of health care facilities.
- Work in a sterile processing department and central service department setting.
- Contribute to a team of central sterile processing technicians who are all working together to maintain sterilization and storage.
- Find employment in various settings, including hospitals, dental or eye care practices, plastic surgery offices, surgery centers, and laboratories.
- Take the central sterile processing exam offered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM). This program is based on the IAHCSMM certification, CRCST.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Central Sterile Technician
- Students are prepared to sit for the Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) Exam
- Healthcare Provider BLS and First Aid Certificate
Registration Eligibility: Adults can register any session. High school students are eligible to register for the Spring Session only.
Registration Availability: Open
Program Length: 800 Hours or approximately 6.5 months.
Times: Evenings. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Main Campus Rm 226
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
Entrance Assessment: Students must take the MTECH Entrance Assessment. The Entrance Assessment is free and takes about an hour to complete. No appointment is necessary. To learn more visit mtec.edu/testing.
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2019||Lehi||226||10/21/19||4/29/20||5:30 pm||9:30 pm||M-Th|
|Spring 2020||Lehi||226||1/13/20||TBD||11:30 am||2:30 pm||M-Th|
|Summer 2020||Lehi||226||5/4/20||TBD||5:30 pm||9:30 pm||M-Th|
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$565.00||Includes facilities fee|
|total:||$2,285.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
All materials and supplies are available at MTECH Bookstore unless noted.