Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) provide basic nursing care. They work under the direction of registered nurses and doctors. LPNs are often required to wear specific uniforms or scrubs, depending on the practice setting. Working with ill and injured individual can be very stressful and physically demanding. LPNs work in a variety of healthcare settings with diverse patient populations.
This program will prepare students to function at an entry-level of nursing. Classroom theory is provided concurrently with clinical experiences. Students who complete the Practical Nursing Program will receive a Certificate of Completion from MTECH, while being prepared to pass the NCLEX-PN Exam and work as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Students may have the opportunity to apply for admission into advanced entry registered nursing programs. This is an accredited program through Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Practical Nursing
- Students are prepared to take the NCLEX-PN Exam
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid
*91% of the students who attended the MTECH Practical Nursing from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 completed the program, and 88% of the students who completed the program from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 obtained jobs after graduation. 100% of graduates passed the NCLEX-PN on their first attempt from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
Registration Eligibility: Adults only. High school students are not eligible to register for this program.
Registration Availability: This program requires an application process and approval prior to registration. Applications will be available starting April 1st. You must submit your application for the Fall section between May 15 and June 15. For the Spring section you must submit your appliation between October 15 and November 15. Late applications will not be processed. The Application and details can be found below.
Program Length: 900 Hours or approximately 12 months.
Times: Days. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Main Campus
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
The admissions process is competitive. Completion of all requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. The prerequisites required to apply to the Practical Nursing Program are as follows:
- Must have a current Utah State Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate that does not expire during the program.
- Must have high school diploma or GED, or an official high school transcript.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must take the ATI TEAS test.
- The most current version of the ATI TEAS is required.
- Go to http://www.atitesting.com to create an account and schedule the ATI TEAS.
- Please note: the TEAS is approximately a four (4) hour test which includes the following subjects: Science, Math, English and Language Usage, and Reading.
For a complete list of application requirements, please see the Practical Nursing Application.
Please note: immunizations will be required once ACCEPTED into the program. Immunizations are NOT required when applying for the program. If you are accepted into the program, you will receive an Acceptance Packet containing all required information.
UPDATE: Prerequisite courses will NOT be required for the Spring 2020 semester but will be required for the Fall 2020 semester. The reason for this change is to allow more time for students to complete the required courses in time to apply for the Practical Nursing program. The prerequisite courses required beginning in Fall 2020 are as follows:
- Human Development or Psychology
The MTECH PN Program will accept prerequisite courses from regionally-accredited universities (UVU, Weber State, Salt Lake Community College, etc.). Students must receive a B- or better in each class in order to apply to the PN program.
Note: It is the responsibility of the student to make sure the prerequisite courses he or she takes will be accepted at the school where they plan to complete their RN program, if applicable.
Pre-Application Information Meeting
The MTECH Nursing Department will be holding pre-application information sessions at:
MTECH Main Campus Nursing Building
2801 Ashton Blvd. Lehi, UT 84043-4943
*Note: This is not the main Lehi Campus. This is the Nursing bldg. located north of the main campus.
- You do not need to make an appointment to attend the information sessions.
- Students will get extra points on their PN-Application Packet for attending.
- Application Scoring Information: All applicants are ranked according to their scores following the initial application process.
- The students with the top 35 scores will be contacted for an interview.
- Each student’s initial application score and their interview score will be combined.
- The top scoring 24 students will be offered seats in the program. The remaining members of the 35 students will be placed in an alternate pool.
- Should the Program Director and Faculty find it necessary to interview additional students for any reason, those students will be selected in groups of 5 and in rank order, starting with the 36th highest score and proceeding down the list of qualified applicants until all 24 seats are filled.
- Interview, alternate and not accepted notifications will be sent out no later than two weeks after the application close date.
- Acceptance notifications will be made available after the interviews are conducted and scored.
- If you are an alternate candidate, you may be notified of an available seat as late as the beginning of the first week of class.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.