Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) provide basic nursing care. They work under the direction of registered nurses and doctors. LPNs are often required to wear specific uniforms or scrubs, depending on the practice setting. Working with the ill and injured can be very stressful and physically demanding. LPNs work in a variety of healthcare settings with diverse patient populations.
This program will prepare students to function at an entry level of nursing. Classroom theory is provided concurrently with clinical experiences. Students who complete the Practical Nursing Program will receive a Certificate of Completion from MTECH, while being prepared to pass the NCLEX-PN Exam and work as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Students may have the opportunity to apply for admission into advanced entry registered nursing programs.
This is an accredited program through Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Practical Nursing
- Students are prepared to take the NCLEX-PN Exam
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid
*86% of the students who attended the MTECH Practical Nursing from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 completed the program, and 72% of the students who completed the program from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 obtained jobs after graduation. 100% of graduates passed the NCLEX-PN on their first attempt from April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018.
Registration Eligibility: Adults only. High school students are not eligible to register for this program.
Registration Availability: This program requires an application process and approval prior to registration. The application window is May 15 through June 15 for Fall start dates and again November 15 through December 15 for Spring start dates. Late applications will not be processed. The Application and details can be found below.
Program Length: 900 Hours. This works out to be approximately 300 calendar days not including weekends and holidays.
Times: Days. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Main Campus
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
The admissions process is competitive. Completion of all requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. All of the following requirements must be completed BEFORE submitting your application:
- Must have a current Utah State Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) License.
- Must have high school diploma or GED, or an official high school transcript.
- Registration is available to adults only. Must be 18 years or older.
- Must have documentation of all required immunizations. Details regarding immunizations can be found in the application packet.
- Must take the ATI TEAS test before submitting an application.
- Please note that it is approximately a four (4) hour test. The ATI TEAS test includes the following four subjects: Science, Math, English and Language Usage, and Reading.
- The most current version of the ATI TEAS is required. Test scores are valid for one year. The Practical Nursing program accepts one attempt per application period with no more than 2 attempts per 1 year.
- Students need to go to ATI Nursing Education and create an account. When creating an account, select Mountainland Applied Technology College (MTECH).
- Once registered, students will be able to pay the $100 test fee (subject to change) and schedule the date and location they wish to take the exam.
- Students need to schedule ATI TEAS Test Dates and Times through http://www.atitesting.com
Pre-Application Information Meeting
The MTECH Nursing Department will be holding pre-application information sessions at:
MTECH Main Campus Nursing Building
2801 Ashton Blvd. Lehi, UT 84043-4943
*Note: This is not the main Lehi Campus. This is the Nursing bldg. located north of the main campus.
- You do not need to make an appointment to attend the information sessions.
- Students will get extra points on their PN-Application Packet for attending.
- Application Scoring Information: All applicants are ranked according to their scores following the initial application process.
- The students with the top 35 scores will be contacted for an interview.
- Each student’s initial application score and their interview score will be combined.
- The top scoring 24 students will be offered seats in the program. The remaining members of the 35 students will be placed in an alternate pool.
- Should the Program Director and Faculty find it necessary to interview additional students for any reason, those students will be selected in groups of 5 and in rank order, starting with the 36th highest score and proceeding down the list of qualified applicants until all 24 seats are filled.
- Interview, alternate and not accepted notifications will be sent out no later than two weeks after the application close date.
- Acceptance notifications will be made available after the interviews are conducted and scored.
- If you are an alternate candidate, you may be notified of an available seat as late as the beginning of the first week of class.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2019||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||8/13/19||5/21/20||7:00 am||4:30 pm||M-F|
|Spring 2020||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||1/6/20||TBD||7:00 am||4:30 pm||M-F|
Classes are not held during summer but clinicals may be available.
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$1,770.00||Includes facilities fee|
|total:||$3,610.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Textbook/Workbook||$0.00||Included in program fees|
|Uniforms and Shoes||$100.00|
|Federal Background Check||$42.00|
|National NCLEX-PN Exam||$200.00|
|Utah State License Fee||$200.00|