Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) provide nursing care to clients with common health needs. They work under the direction of registered nurses, physician assistants, doctors and dentists. LPNs are often required to wear specific uniforms or scrubs, depending on the practice setting. Working with ill and injured individual can be very stressful and physically demanding. LPNs work in a variety of healthcare settings with diverse patient populations.
This program will prepare students to function as an entry-level nurse. Classroom theory is provided concurrently with clinical experiences. Students who complete the Practical Nursing Program will receive a Certificate of Completion from MTECH, be prepared to take the NCLEX-PN Exam, and be prepared to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse. MTECH Graduates have the opportunity to apply for admission into bridge programs where they can work towards becoming registered nurses.
- Practical Nursing
- Program Hours: 900 clock hours
- Campus Location: MTECH Lehi North Campus, Nursing Building
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Practical Nursing
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid
*97% of the students who attended the MTECH Practical Nursing from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 completed the program, and 77% of the students who completed the program from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 obtained jobs after graduation. 100% of graduates passed the NCLEX-PN on their first attempt from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Registration Eligibility: Adults only. High school students are not eligible to register for this program.
Registration Availability: This program requires an application process and approval prior to registration. You must submit your application for the Fall section between May 15 and June 15. For the Spring section you must submit your application between October 15 and November 15. Late applications will not be processed. The application details can be found below.
Program Length: 900 clock hours (two semesters).
Times: Days, Evenings and Weekends. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi North Campus, Nursing Building
Transfer Credit Opportunity: Credit hours for completing this program can be counted towards degrees from UVU. +Learn more.
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
Practical Nursing Application Requirements
Note: It is the responsibility of the student to make sure the prerequisite courses he or she takes will be accepted at the school where they plan to complete their RN program, if applicable.
ALL REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Must have a current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate.
- Must have completed all THREE prerequisite courses with a B- or better. The three required prerequisite courses are Anatomy (4 credits), Physiology (4 credits), and Growth and Development (3 credits) OR Psychology (3 credits). Introductory courses for Anatomy and Physiology will not be accepted. However, they will be accepted for Psychology or Growth and Development. Integrated Anatomy and Physiology courses will be accepted if both courses have been taken (4 credits each).
- The prerequisite courses must be taken from a regionally accredited college or university (Utah Valley University, Brigham Young University, Weber State University, Salt Lake Community College, etc). We do not accept prerequisite courses taken at schools such as Provo College, Ameritech, study.com, etc. If you have a question about your prerequisite courses and/or transcripts, please email email@example.com for assistance.
- There is no time limit associated with prerequisite courses but you will most likely be more successful in your completion of the Practical Nursing Program if your prerequisite courses have been taken within the past 4-5 years.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must take the most current version of the ATI TEAS test. Test scores are valid for one year.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Pay the $30 non-refundable PN Program Application Fee to MTECH Student Services.
- Register and pay for the ATI TEAS test (approximately $100). For directions on how to sign up for the TEAS, please go to https://www.atitesting.com/teas-prep
- Completely fill out this application packet and upload all of the following documents with the application:
- official Individual Performance Profile results from ATI TEAS test (within the last year)
- current CNA or EMT certificate
- copies of all official transcripts
- receipt for the $30 MTECH application fee.
- Applications are only accepted twice a year from October 15 through November 15 and again from May 15 through June 15. If you do not see the application tab, please check the website during these time frames.
Pre-Application Information Meeting
- Wednesday, August 4, 2021 @ noon
- Tuesday, September 7, 2021 @ 1500
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021 @ 0900
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021 @ 0800 (virtual only with RSVP)
- Monday, November 1, 2021 @ noon
Application Point Criterion
Work History - Direct Health Care Experience
- 6 or more months +3
- 6 or less months +2
- Non-medical work experience +1
- Volunteer work +1
- No work or volunteer experience 0
- * Criterion is based on one experience only. The experience worth the most points will be used.
Required Prerequisite Courses - 5 points per course
(Anatomy, Physiology, Human Growth OR Psychology)
- Course grade – A +5
- Course grade – A-
- Course grade – B+ +3
- Course grade – B
- Course grade – B-
- Course grades with a C+ or lower do not qualify and the application will not be considered.
Additional (not required) Prerequisite Courses - 1 point per course for grades of B- or higher. / 5
- Human Growth and Development +1 (if not awarded in the above section)
+1 (if not awarded in the above section)
- Elementary Chemistry +1
- Math 1030, 1040, 1050, or 1080 +1 (maximum of 1 point)
- English 1010 or 2010 +1 (maximum of 1 point)
Previous Qualified Applicant / 1
Attendance at Information Session / 1
- Applicants will be ranked according to their scores on the application.
- Applicants with the top scores (up to 35) will be contacted for an interview.
- All applicants will be notified within two weeks after the application close date as to whether or not they are eligible for an interview.
- The application score and interview score for each applicant interviewed will be combined.
- Up to 24 students are admitting into the program each semester. The number of seats offered is based on the number of students being admitted that semester.
- The applicants with the top scores will be offered seats in the program.
- The applicants not offered seats in the program will be placed on the alternate list.
- Applicants accepted into the program and those who are on the alternate list will be notified after interviews have been conducted and overall scores have been tallied.
- Applicants on the alternate list may be notified of available seat(s) in the program as late as the beginning of the first week of class.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
Mandatory orientation for all students who have been accepted into the nursing program for January of 2022 will be held on be Monday, November 29, 2021 from 9 am until noon. This orientation will provide a variety of essential information pertaining to the nursing program and will also provide the student time to ask questions and understand what will be required to be successful in the program. Please plan on three hours for this orientation, however, the orientation may end earlier or later depending on the amount of questions during the orientation.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2021 Cohort||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||8/9/2021||5/27/2022||Class:
Clinical: 5:45 AM
Clinical: 6:00 PM
|M-F with occasional Sat & Sun|
|Spring 2022 Cohort||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||1/18/2022||12/16/2022||Class:
Clinical: 5:45 AM
Clinical: 6:00 PM
|M-F with occasional Sat & Sun|
Note: Classes are not held during Summer Term but clinicals may be available. Some clinicals will take place on the weekends.
Tuition and Fees
|total:||$3,770.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Textbook/Workbooks||$325.00||Estimated cost and subject to change|
|TEAS Exam||$100.00||Practical Nursing Entrance Exam|
|Uniforms and Shoes||$100.00||Scrubs are available in the Lehi MTECH Bookstore|
|Background Check & Drug Screen||$100.00|
|National NCLEX-PN Exam||$200.00|
|Utah State PN License Fee||$100.00||Paid to DOPL after graduating from the program and passing the NCLEX-PN Exam|
The Practical Nursing Program at Mountainland Technical College at the
Lehi Main Campus located in Lehi, Utah is accredited by:
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners
for the Practical Nursing Program is continuing accreditation.