Surgical technologists are members of the operating room teams, which include the surgeon(s), anesthesiologist and circulating nurse. They primarily fulfill the first scrub role and help to prepare the operating room by setting up sterile surgical instruments, equipment and supplies, such as drapes, gowns, gloves, suction tubing, and receiving solutions and medications from the circulator. Surgical technologists assemble the sterile equipment, check to ensure it is all working properly and make adjustments as necessary.
They assist the surgeon with putting on his/her gown and gloves and assist in placing the sterile drapes on the patient to create the sterile field. During the surgical procedure, the surgical technologist is responsible for anticipating the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and providing needed supplies such as sponges, performing counts of the instruments and the sharps, receiving tissue specimens to be passed off to the circulator and ensuring there are no breaks in sterile technique.
Students in the Surgical Technology Program learn to be allied health professionals who work in the surgical suite delivering patient care. They ensure the operating room environment is safe, the equipment functions properly, and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical Technologists are the surgical team’s experts in aseptic technique.
Training at MTech will focus on:
- Surgical Technology Basics
- Microbiology and Infection Control
- Surgical Techniques
- MTech Surgical Technology Program Certificate
- Healthcare Provider BLS and First Aid Certificate
- Students will be prepared to take the National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA) Certified Surgical Technologist Exam (anticipated date of December 2016)
- Gainful employment Data
- Students must be at least 18 years old
- Applications must be submitted by November 9, 2017
- Download, print and complete the following forms:
|Session||Location||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2017||Lehi Campus Room 226||8/22/17||6/7/18||7:30 AM||2:00 PM||M-Th|
|Spring 2018||Lehi Campus Room 226||1/16/18||TBA||7:30 AM||2:00 PM||M-Th|
|Application Fee||$30.00||There is no cost to apply.|
|Tuition||$2,628.00||Due to the competitive nature of this program, all tuition must be paid in full two weeks prior to the start date of this program if you are accepted.|
Financial Aid Eligible:Yes.
Get started by visiting the Office of Financial Aid
|Surgical Technology for the Surgical Technologist: A Positive Care Approach||$624.00||9781337753487|
|Gold Student Exam Bundle||$247.00||AST Membership, Study Guide & CST Exam Fee|
|Scrubs and Program Patch||$30.00|
- Information, including but not limited to, times, dates, locations, tuition, fees, prerequisites, etc. are subject to change without notice. It is the viewer's responsibility to verify the timeliness and accuracy of this information prior to enrollment.
- Classes not meeting the minimum enrollment may be cancelled or rescheduled. Minimum enrollment requirements vary per program.
- MTECH provides training for students to prepare to take and/or receive MTECH or 3rd party licensures and certifications such as state, national or industry certifications. MTECH does not guarantee MTECH or 3rd party licensures and certifications such as state, national or industry certifications upon completion of MTECH Programs. State/national licensure or industry certifications are required for employment in some occupations and it is the responsibility of the student to obtain them. In order to receive an MTECH certificate students must demonstrate all competencies.
- Financial Aid availability may be based on program locations and/or scheduling requirements.
- Programs at the MTECH are based on CLOCK HOURS. Clock hours are actual hours and not credit hours.
- If your program is OE/OE, you can easily calculate the time it takes to complete a program (your targeted completion date) by taking the total hours of the program and dividing it by the number of hours per day you meet. This will give you how many days it should take. You can then plot this on a calendar,excluding weekends and holidays.
Quick and Easy Steps to Start
Choose Your Program
Start by looking at over 40 areas of training. Be sure to review program prerequisites and details.
+ Browse All of Our Programs
Apply to MTech
Complete the FREE quick and easy MTech application.
High school students must be at least 16 yrs old AND a Junior to apply.
+ Complete the application
Take Entrance Assessment
All students must complete the entrance assessment. You can also meet with an Academic and Career Counselor at anytime.
+ Schedule the assessment
Meet With an Academic and Career Counselor
Some programs require a visit with one of our Academic and Career Counselors. Check your program for prerequisite details.
+ Meet with a counselor
Check Financial Aid
Some programs qualify for financial aid. Others may have scholarships available.
+ Check for financial aid
All tuition and fees are due when you register. Registration is available online or at Student Services locations in Lehi, Orem and Spanish Fork.
+ Complete your registration
Check your program homepage for supplies needed. Don't forget to grab your parking pass!
+ Visit MTech Bookstore
High School Students
Make sure you have read and understand the prerequisites and steps before you register.