Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) provide nursing care to clients with common health needs. They work under the direction of registered nurses, physician assistants, doctors and dentists. LPNs are often required to wear specific uniforms or scrubs, depending on the practice setting. Working with ill and injured individual can be very stressful and physically demanding. LPNs work in a variety of healthcare settings with diverse patient populations.
This program will prepare students to function as an entry-level nurse. Classroom theory is provided concurrently with clinical experiences. Students who complete the Practical Nursing Program will receive a Certificate of Completion from MTECH, be prepared to take the NCLEX-PN Exam, and be prepared to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse. MTECH Graduates have the opportunity to apply for admission into bridge programs where they can work towards becoming registered nurses.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Practical Nursing
- Students are prepared to take the NCLEX-PN Exam
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid
*97% of the students who attended the MTECH Practical Nursing from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 completed the program, and 77% of the students who completed the program from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 obtained jobs after graduation. 95% of graduates passed the NCLEX-PN on their first attempt from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
Registration Eligibility: Adults only. High school students are not eligible to register for this program.
Registration Availability: This program requires an application process and approval prior to registration. You must submit your application for the Fall section between May 15 - June 30. For the Spring section you must submit your appliation between October 15 and November 15. Late applications will not be processed. The Application and details can be found below.
Program Length: 900 Hours or approximately 12 months.
Times: Days, Evenings and Weekends. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi North Campus, Nursing Building
Articulation Agreements: Credit hours for completing this program can be counted towards degrees from UVU. +Learn more.
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance. +Learn More
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
The admissions process is competitive. Completion of all requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. The prerequisites required to apply to the Practical Nursing Program are as follows:
- Must have a current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate that does not expire during the program.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must take the ATI TEAS test. **THIS IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THE MAY 15-JUNE 30 APPLICATION PERIOD ONLY, DUE TO THE RESTRICTIONS ON TESTING AT THIS TIME.
- The most current version of the ATI TEAS is required.
- Go to http://www.atitesting.com to create an account and schedule the ATI TEAS.
- Please note: the TEAS is approximately a four (4) hour test which includes the following subjects: Science, Math, English and Language Usage, and Reading.
Must have successfully completed the following prerequisite courses:
- Human Development or Psychology
For a complete list of application requirements, please see the Practical Nursing Application.
The MTECH PN Program will accept prerequisite courses from regionally-accredited universities (UVU, Weber State, Salt Lake Community College, etc.) Students must receive a B- or better in each class in order to apply to the PN program.
Note: It is the responsibility of the student to make sure the prerequisite courses he or she takes will be accepted at the school where they plan to complete their RN program, if applicable.
Please note: immunizations will be required once ACCEPTED into the program. Immunizations are NOT required when applying for the program. If you are accepted into the program, you will receive an Acceptance Packet containing all required information.
Pre-Application Information Meeting
- April 21, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
- April 29, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
- May 8, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
- All applicants are ranked according to their scores following the initial application process.
- The students with the top 35 scores will be contacted for an interview.
- Each student’s initial application score and their interview score will be combined.
- The top scoring 24 students will be offered seats in the program. The remaining members of the 35 students will be placed in an alternate pool.
- Should the Program Director and Faculty find it necessary to interview additional students for any reason, those students will be selected in groups of 5 and in rank order, starting with the 36th highest score and proceeding down the list of qualified applicants until all 24 seats are filled.
- Notifications for students selected for an interview and those not accepted into the program will be sent out no later than two weeks after the application close date.
- Notifications for students accepted into the program will be made available no later than 2 weeks after the interviews are conducted and scored.
- If you are an alternate candidate, you may be notified of an available seat as late as the beginning of the first week of class.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2020||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||8/10/2020||TBD||Class:
Clinical: 5:45 AM
Clinical: 6:00 PM
|M-F with occasional Sat & Sun|
|Spring 2021||Lehi Nursing Bldg||TBD||1/11/2021||TBD||Class:
Clinical: 5:45 AM
Clinical: 6:00 PM
|M-F with occasional Sat & Sun|
Note: Classes are not held during Summer Term but clinicals may be available. Some clinicals will take place on the weekends.
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$1,860.00||Includes all required textbooks|
|total:||$3,870.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Textbook/Workbooks||$0.00||Included in program fees|
|TEAS Exam||$90.00||Practical Nursing Entrance Exam|
|LPN Pharmacy Practice Cards||$13.00||CC-LPN|
|Castle Branch Compliance Tracker||$35.00|
|Castle Branch Clinical Requirements||$35.00|
|Uniforms and Shoes||$100.00||Scrubs are available in the Lehi MTECH Bookstore|
|Background Check & Drug Screen||$92.00|
|National NCLEX-PN Exam||$200.00|
|Utah State PN License Fee||$100.00|
The Mountainland Technical College (MTECH) Practical Nursing Program has been granted accreditation by the
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850,
Atlanta, Georgia 30326.