The type of weld is normally determined by the types of metals being joined and the conditions under which the welding is to take place. Welding is the most common way of permanently joining metal parts. In this process, heat is applied to metal pieces, melting and fusing them to form a permanent bond. Because of its strength, welding is used in shipbuilding, automobile manufacturing and repair, aerospace applications, and thousands of other manufacturing activities. Welding also is used to join beams in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures and to join pipes in pipelines, power plants, and refineries.
Students will learn welding and cutting processes including the joining of parts according to blueprints or written specifications. Students learn industrial requirements for occupational skills needed in the welding field. The welding program emphasizes hands-on individualized instruction. In the Welding Technology Program, students have the opportunity to become skilled in shielded metal arc welding, gas metal arc welding, flux cored arc welding, and gas tungsten arc welding.
Skills taught also include; drawing and welding symbol interpretation, and thermal cutting processes. MTECH’s Welding Technology Program prepares students for employment as tackers, welding operators, in industrial and farm maintenance, all-position structural welders, aluminum and stainless TIG welders, welding foremen, supervisors, consultants, and welding inspectors.
The 900 hour Welding Technology Program enables students to apply their MTECH certificate towards an Associates of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Technology at the Utah Valley University (UVU). Please direct any questions to the program instructor for more information.
- MTECH Welding Technology Program Certificate in:
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
- Flux Cored Arc Welding
- MTECH Occupational Skills in:
- Thermal Cutting Process
- Blueprint, Symbols, Testing and Inspection
- Industry Certifications:
- QC10 American Welding Society Entry Level Certificate
- AWSD1.1 Structural Steel Certificate – SMAW
- AWSD1.1 Structural Steel Certificate – FCAW
- UVU Articulation Agreement – Completing this program, students are eligible to participate in an articulation agreement with Utah Valley University. Hours and certifications can be applied towards an Associates of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Technology at Utah Valley University (UVU).
- Registration is available to high school seniors only. High school student must have taken Welding I at the high school level.
- The MTECH Entrance Assessment must be taken.
- Students must also meet with a MTECH Academic and Career Counselor.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2018||Orem||108||August 20,2018||Open Exit||7:30 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
|Fall 2018||Orem||108||August 20,2018||Open Exit||11:30 AM||2:30 PM||M-F|
|Fall 2018||Orem||108||August 20,2018||Open Exit||2:45 PM||5:45 PM||M-F|
|Spring 2019||Orem||108||January 22,2019||Open Exit||7:30 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
|Spring 2019||Orem||108||January 22,2019||Open Exit||11:30 AM||2:30 PM||M-F|
|Spring 2019||Orem||108||January 22,2019||Open Exit||2:45 PM||5:45 PM||M-F|
|Application Fee||$0.00||There is no cost to apply.|
|Program Fees: Blueprint Reading||$50.00|
|Program Fees: Thermal Cutting||$150.00|
|Program Fees: Gas Metal Arc Welding||$250.00|
|Program Fees: Flux Cored Arc Welding||$250.00|
|Program Fees: Shielded Metal Arc Welding||$250.00|
|Program Fees: Gas Tungsten Arc Welding||$250.00|
|Program Fees: Special Applications||$30.00|
|Tuition||$0.00||All fees are due at the time of registration. Tuition is waived for high school students.|
Financial Aid Eligible:No
|Textbook||$88.00||Student Binder& Hobart Institute of Welding Technology – Programmed Learning Packets|
|AWS Course Subscription||$163.00||This is a yearly cost|
|Exam Materials for Industry Certifications||$20.00|
|Steel toed boots||$30.00||not sold at bookstore|
|3/8″ Plate Coupons, per each set||$10.00||each per set|
|1″ Plate Coupons, per each set||$20.00||each per set|
|Total :||varies depending on number of tests|
Request A Tour
See For Yourself What We Offer
- Get a personal one-on-one tour
- See our labs and equipment first hand
- Get answers to your questions
100% Secure. We Never Share Your Information.