Orem South Campus
Day and Night
- Learn the craft of machining and how to create precision parts.
- Build projects using mills, lathes and other precision machining equipment.
- Design parts and program computer numerical control (CNC) machines to make them.
Machinists use machine tools that are either conventionally controlled or computer numerically controlled, such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders, to produce precision metal parts. Although they may produce large quantities of one part, precision machinists often produce small batches or one-of-a-kind items. The parts that machinists make range from simple bolts of steel or brass to titanium bone screws for orthopedic implants. Hydraulic parts, anti-lock brakes, and automobile pistons are other widely known products that machinists make.
Students will learn the essentials of machining including shop mathematics, blueprint reading, machine tool operation and selection emphasizing safety in the learning process. The program prepares students for a smooth transition into the manufacturing industry work-force and/or to upgrade skills for career advancement. The Machine Tool Program stresses hands-on individualized instruction, through project construction and classroom work. Students will also learn the essentials of setting up, operating and programming Computer Numerically Controlled Machine tools emphasizing safety in the learning process. Students will also learn the essentials of Computer Aided Manufacturing Software. The program prepares students for a smooth transition into the manufacturing industry work-force and/or to upgrade skills for career advancement. The CNC program stresses hands-on individualized instruction, through project construction and classroom work.
|Session||Location||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2017 Session 1||Orem South Campus||8/22/17||7:30 AM||10:30 AM|
|Fall 2017 Session 2||Orem South Campus||8/22/17||11:45 AM||2:45 PM||M-F|
|Fall 2017 Session 3||Orem South Campus||8/22/17||5:15 PM||9:00 PM||M-Th|
|Spring 2018 Session 1||Orem South Campus||1/16/18||7:30 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
|Spring 2018 Session 2||Orem South Campus||1/16/18||11:45 AM||2:45 PM||M-F|
|Spring 2018 Session 3||Orem South Campus||1/16/18||5:15 PM||9:00 PM||M-Th|
|Application Fee||$0.00||There is no cost to apply.|
|Tuition||$2,634.00||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Financial Aid Eligible:Pending
Get started by visiting the Office of Financial Aid
|Print Reading for Industry 9th Edition By:Walter C. Brown & Ryan K. Brown||$84.00||ISBN: 10-1-605-25-3081 / ISBN: 13-9781605253084|
|Machine Shop Practice, Volume I, 2nd Edition by Moltrecht||$35.00||ISBN: 978-080831111267|
|Machine Shop Practice, Volume II, 2nd Edition by Moltrecht||$35.00||ISBN: 978-080831111267|
|Interpretation of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, 3rd Edition; By: Daniel E. Puncochar||$42.00||ISBN: 13-9780831134211|
|Technical Shop Mathematics, 3rd edition, Thomas Ashatz||$55.00||ISBN:978-0831130862|
|Machinist Tool Kit||$1,250.00||Tool kits are available to rent on a first come, first serve, basis (approx. $100 a month). See instructor for details|
|Machinery’s Handbook,30th edition,Tool box edition||$105.00||ISBN: 978-0831130916|
|Programming of CNC Machines by Ken Evans, 3rd Edition||$58.00||ISBN: 978-0-8311-3316-0|
|Student Workbook for Programming of CNC Machines||$26.00||ISBN: 978-0-8311-3317-0|
- Information, including but not limited to, times, dates, locations, tuition, fees, prerequisites, etc. are subject to change without notice. It is the viewer's responsibility to verify the timeliness and accuracy of this information prior to enrollment.
- Classes not meeting the minimum enrollment may be cancelled or rescheduled. Minimum enrollment requirements vary per program.
- MTECH provides training for students to prepare to take and/or receive MTECH or 3rd party licensures and certifications such as state, national or industry certifications. MTECH does not guarantee MTECH or 3rd party licensures and certifications such as state, national or industry certifications upon completion of MTECH Programs. State/national licensure or industry certifications are required for employment in some occupations and it is the responsibility of the student to obtain them. In order to receive an MTECH certificate students must demonstrate all competencies.
- Financial Aid availability may be based on program locations and/or scheduling requirements.
- Programs at the MTECH are based on CLOCK HOURS. Clock hours are actual hours and not credit hours.
- If your program is OE/OE, you can easily calculate the time it takes to complete a program (your targeted completion date) by taking the total hours of the program and dividing it by the number of hours per day you meet. This will give you how many days it should take. You can then plot this on a calendar,excluding weekends and holidays.
Quick and Easy Steps to Start
Choose Your Program
Start by looking at over 40 areas of training. Be sure to review program prerequisites and details.
+ Browse All of Our Programs
Apply to MTech
Complete the FREE quick and easy MTech application.
High school students must be at least 16 yrs old AND a Junior to apply.
+ Complete the application
Take Entrance Assessment
All students must complete the entrance assessment. You can also meet with an Academic and Career Counselor at anytime.
+ Schedule the assessment
Meet With an Academic and Career Counselor
Some programs require a visit with one of our Academic and Career Counselors. Check your program for prerequisite details.
+ Meet with a counselor
Check Financial Aid
Some programs qualify for financial aid. Others may have scholarships available.
+ Check for financial aid
All tuition and fees are due when you register. Registration is available online or at Student Services locations in Lehi, Orem and Spanish Fork.
+ Complete your registration
Check your program homepage for supplies needed. Don't forget to grab your parking pass!
+ Visit MTech Bookstore
High School Students
Make sure you have read and understand the prerequisites and steps before you register.