A8- ASE identifies Engine Performance as an individual service area for certification. This may be taken as a standalone program or as part of the full Automotive Technology Program. Students will need to have a tool set to complete this program.
The A8 engine performance program covers provides hands on and theory training for the systems and the components listed below.
- Shop safety, and electrical fundamentals
- Diagnosis and repair of Ignition systems and components that ignite the fuel and air mixture at the proper time to create maximum power and minimum emissions
- Diagnosis and repair of the fuel system components that transfer fuel from the fuel tank to the engine cylinders in the proper amounts so as to create maximum power and minimum emissions
- Exhaust systems – diagnosis and repair of components that remove combustion by-products from the engine
- The emission control system – diagnosis and repair of components that reduces the amount of harmful gases emitted from the vehicle
- Sensor and wiring testing, lab scope testing, scan tool testing, Manufacturer web-based training, ASE practice testing, and a final exam
- Students will take the ASE A8 engine performance certification exam at an independent testing facility at the conclusion of the program.
- Automotive Engine Performance
- Program Hours: 135 hours
- Campus Location: Lehi and Spanish Fork.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Engine Performance
- ASE A8 Program Certificate in Engine Performance
Registration Eligibility: Adults and high school students who are age 16 and older and at least a junior in high school.
Registration Availability: Registration for Fall 2020 opens June 24, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. online on the MTECH Student Portal and remains open until classes are full. It is recommended to create your MTECH Student Portal account in advance.
Program Length: 135 Hours.
Times: Mornings and Afternoons. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Main and Spanish Fork Campuses.
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is not eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance.
Entrance Assessment: Students must take the MTECH Entrance Assessment. The Entrance Assessment is free and takes about an hour to complete. To learn more visit mtec.edu/testing.
High School Students: Students should coordinate with home high school counselors prior to registration. After completing the Career Ready Assessment and the Maintainence & Light Repair pre-requisite course, high school students may take any classes available that fit their schedule. Some programs are not a semester long, and students will need to take 2 individual programs to fill a semester.
MTECH Counselor: Students enrolling in this program must meet with an MTECH Academic and Career Counselor prior to registration. High School students are encouraged to be accompanied by a parent. To schedule an appointment please visit mtec.edu/counseling.
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
G1 Maintenance And Light Repair Course Completed with a B- or better prior to enrollment. This May Be Waived By Completion of the MLR Challenge Test in the Testing Center with a score of 80% and above, and either the completion of High School Auto Class, Auto Fundamentals, or adequate work experience.
All students must have a valid driver’s license
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2020||Spanish Fork||Auto Bldg||10/21/20||12/23/20||11:45 AM||2:55 PM||M-F|
|Fall 2021||Lehi||Auto Bldg||10/XX/21||12/XX/21||7:30 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
|Fall 2021||Spanish Fork||Auto Bldg||10/XX/21||12/XX/21||7:30 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$173.00||Fees include one (1) A3 test administered by 3rd party testing facility.|
|total:||$546.50||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Thompson Automotive Technology A Systems Approach, 7th edition||$111.00||ISBN: 9781337794213|
|Engine Performance NATEF standards job sheets||$56.00||ISBN: 9781111647025|
|Shop Shirt||$25.00||Students only need one shirt. They will not be charged for a shirt if they have one from a previous MTECH Auto class.|
|Toolkit||$150.00||A detailed list will be distributed on the first day of instruction|
|ASE Certification Exam||$37.00 ea.||Optional - paid to ASE when registering for an exam|