A6- ASE identifies Electrical/Electronics as an individual service area for certification. This may be taken as a standalone program or as part of the full Automotive Technology program. Students will need to have a tool set to complete this program.
The A6 Electrical/Electronics program covers the electrical and electronic components and systems listed below:
- Hands on and theory training in shop safety, electrical fundamentals, electro-trainer, reading and understanding wiring diagrams
- Battery, the device that stores and provides electrical power for the vehicle and its electronic monitoring systems
- Charging systems, Vehicle starting systems, lighting systems, computer systems and networks
- Diagnosis and repair of Electronic components including gauges and accessories
- Hybrid vehicle systems are also covered and their related components
- Manufacturer web-based training, ASE practice testing, and a final exam. The ASE A6 certification exam will be taken at an independent testing facility at the conclusion of the course.
- Automotive Electrical and Electronics
- Program Hours: 135 hours
- Campus Location: Lehi and Spanish Fork.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Electrical and Electronics
- ASE A6 Program Certificate in Electrical and Electronics
Registration Eligibility: Adults and high school students who are age 16 and older and at least a junior in high school.
Registration Availability: Registration for Fall 2021 opens April 20, 2021 8:00 a.m. online on the MTECH Student Portal and remains open until classes are full. It is recommended to create your MTECH Student Portal account in advance.
Program Length: 135 Hours. This works out to be approximately 45 calendar days not including weekends and holidays.
Times: Mornings. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Lehi Trades and Tech & Spanish Fork Campus.
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is not eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance.
Entrance Assessment: Students are required to take the MTECH Entrance Assessment and score a passing rate of: Math: 2: English: B or provide alternative documentation to prove competency. The Entrance Assessment is free and takes about an hour to complete. To learn more visit mtec.edu/testing.
High School Students: Students should coordinate with home high school counselors prior to registration. After completing the Career Ready Assessment and the Maintainence & Light Repair pre-requisite course, high school students may take any classes available that fit their schedule. Some programs are not a semester long, and students will need to take 2 individual programs to fill a semester.
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
G1 Maintenance And Light Repair Course Completed with a B- or better prior to enrollment. This May Be Waived By Completion of the MLR Challenge Test in the Testing Center with a score of 80% and above, and either the completion of High School Auto Class, Auto Fundamentals, or adequate work experience.
All students must have a valid driver’s license.
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2021||Spanish Fork||Auto Bldg||8/17/2021||10/22/2021||7:20 AM||10:30 AM||M-F|
|Fall 2021||Lehi Trades and Tech||Auto Bldg||8/17/2021||10/22/2021||11:30 AM||2:40 PM||M-F|
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$173.00||Fees include one (1) A3 test administered by 3rd party testing facility.|
|total:||$546.50||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|Thompson Automotive Technology A Systems Approach, 7th edition||$111.00||ISBN: 9781337794213|
|Shop Shirt||$35.00||Students only need one shirt. They will not be charged for a shirt if they have one from a previous MTECH Auto class.|
|Toolkit||$150.00||A detailed list will be distributed on the first day of instruction|
|ASE Certification Exam||$37.00 ea.||Optional - paid to ASE when registering for an exam|