A5- ASE identifies Brakes as an individual service area for certification. This may be taken as a standalone program or as part of the full Automotive Technology program, and it covers the brakes certification area.
This program covers the following:
- Hands on and theory training in diagnosis, service and repair of the automotive and light truck braking systems
- Shop safety, electrical fundamentals, electro-hydraulic components (such as the brake lines and master cylinder) that transfers power from the brake pedals to either disc or drum brakes
- Mechanical foundation brake systems and components (such as discs and pads or drums and shoes) that create the friction required to stop the vehicle
- Related electronic systems and its components that notify the driver of a failure in the brake system
- Anti-lock brake (ABS) systems, stability control systems, and electrical system components and how they work to prevent tire skidding
- Manufacturer web-based training, ASE practice testing, and a final exam
The ASE A5 certification exam will be taken at an independent testing facility at the conclusion of the program.
Certificates and Licensures
- MTECH Program Certificate in Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles
- ASE A5 Program Certificate in Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles
Registration Eligibility: Adults and high school students who are age 16 and older and at least a junior in high school.
Registration Availability: Registration for Fall 2019 opens April 23, 2019 at 8:00 am online on the MTECH Registration Portal and remains open until classes are full. It is recommended to create your MTECH Student Portal account in advance.
Program Length: 135 Hours. This works out to be approximately 45 calendar days not including weekends and holidays.
Times: Mornings, Afternoons and Evenings. See schedule details below.
Locations: MTECH Spanish Fork Campus.
Financial Aid Eligible: This program is not eligible for Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance.
Entrance Assessment: Students must take the MTECH Entrance Assessment. The Entrance Assessment is free and takes about an hour to complete. No appointment is necessary. To learn more visit mtec.edu/testing.
High School Students: Students should coordinate with home high school counselors prior to registration. After completing the Career Ready Assessment and the Maintainence & Light Repair pre-requisite course, high school students may take any classes available that fit their schedule. Some programs are not a semester long, and students will need to take 2 individual programs to fill a semester.
MTECH Counselor: Students enrolling in this program must meet with an MTECH Academic and Career Counselor prior to registration. High School students are encouraged to be accompanied by a parent. To schedule an appointment please visit mtec.edu/counseling.
New Student Orientation: Students must complete the brief MTECH New Student Orientation prior to first day of class. To learn more visit mtec.edu/nso.
G1 Maintenance And Light Repair Course Completed with a B- or better prior to enrollment. This May Be Waived By Completion of the MLR Challenge Test in the Testing Center with a score of 70% and above, and either the completion of High School Auto Class, Auto Fundamentals, or adequate work experience.
All students must have a valid driver’s license
|Session||Location||Room||Start Date||End Date||Start Time||End Time||Days|
|Fall 2019||Spanish Fork||Auto Bldg||10/21/19||12/20/19||11:45 am||3:03 pm||M-F|
Tuition and Fees
|Program Fees||$150.00||Includes facilities fee|
|total:||$473.50||All tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.|
Materials and Supplies
|ASE Certification Exam||$37.00 ea.||Optional - paid to ASE when registering for an exam|