Importing Publisher Testbanks
Rather than creating your quizzes from scratch, you can save time by using the chapter testbanks provided by the publisher. Getting these testbanks into Canvas is a 2-step process. First you need to export the testbanks into a QTI file (format accepted by Canvas). Then you need to import the QTI files into Canvas. The following instructions are provided below:
- Exporting Testbanks in TestGen
- Exporting Testbanks in ExamView
- Exporting Testbanks in Respondus
- Importing Testbanks into Canvas
Exporting Testbanks in TestGen
- Download and install the TestGen application (http://www.pearsoned.com/testgen
NOTE: To access this site, you need to enter the login ID and password assigned to you by Pearson, usually the same ones you use to access the Pearson Education Instructor Resource Center (IRC) or online products such as CourseCompass, MyMathLab, etc.
- Download the testbank zip file associated with your textbook from the Pearson website .
- Open the testbank zip file and copy/paste the .BOK file to your Desktop.
- In TestGen, click File and select Add Testbank to Library, then browse to find the testbank file on your Desktop and click Open.
- Click the (+) next to the title of the book on the left side of the screen to expand and view all chapters.
- Click Web Test on the right side of the screen to create a testbank to export.
- Drag and drop the first chapter from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen.
- The questions for that chapter will populate on the right side of the screen.
- Right-click on the right side of the screen and select Export.
- Choose QTI (WebCT CE 6, WebCT VISTA) and click OK.
- You will be prompted to name and save the QTI file (save it to your Desktop so it’s easy to find).
Exporting Testbanks in ExamView
Video Tutorial:http://youtu.be/ugcke8zMjkc (Links to an external site.)
ExamView Test Generator Training Video:http://youtu.be/ObwbVq18hKs (Links to an external site.)
- Download and install the ExamView application (usually provided on a CD with the textbook).
- Open ExamView and select Open an Existing Question Bank, then navigate to the testbank for you textbook and select a chapter. The testbank for that chapter will open.
- Click the File menu, then Export and select WebCT CE 6/Vista.
- Name and save the QTI zip file (save it to your Desktop so it’s easy to find).
- Select Use question bank title for the Category Name and HTML without default fonts for Formatting, then click OK.
Exporting Testbanks in Respondus
This video provides an overview of Respondus applications that integrate seamlessly with Canvas. With Respondus 4.0, learn how to create and manage quizzes that can be published directly to a Canvas course. Also see how easy it is to move assessments from another LMS into Canvas and how Respondus 4.0 lets you access ready-to-use publisher test banks for thousands of the leading textbooks.
Importing Testbanks into Canvas
- Log into Canvas and navigate to your course, then click the Settings button in the left navigation menu.
- Click Import Content into this Course (right side of the screen), then choose Import Quizzes.
- Click Choose File and browse to find the QTI file you exported (see above), then click Import Quiz.
- You will receive an email when the import process is complete (usually takes less than a minute).
- Navigate to the Quizzes area in your course.
- This process will create an unpublished quiz and a question bank. The quiz can be deleted (since it contains ALL of the questions for that chapter). Use the question bank to create your own quiz.
It is important to note that Canvas does not support these publisher applications. There may be certain elements included in the imported testbank files that Canvas can’t interpret. This may cause unexpected problems when students take the quizzes. For this reason it is recommended that instructors test out the quizzes in Student View prior to the start of the semester to make sure they are functioning properly.